Tips and Tricks for Caring For Roses
Are you looking for tips on how to care for your roses?
Welcome back to Rose Friday. Rose Friday is our weekly series where we discuss how to care for roses. Last week, we talked about the history behind the rose in The History of Roses.
Today, we will conclude Rose Friday series. We are finishing up with a few tips and tricks that we have learned throughout our series. Whether you are looking for the history behind the rose, what a yellow rose means or what the best type of rose is, we have covered it during our Rose Friday article series.
Tips and Tricks to Remember
- Are you unable to grow rose because you live in an apartment or your neighborhood does not allow it? In 5 Steps to Plant Container Roses, we cover how you can actually grow beautiful roses from a container.
- Before pruning your rose bushes, you want to make sure that your rose bush is at least a year old.
- The best way to tell if your roses need water is to stick your forefinger in the soil. If the tip of your finger hits dry soil, then it is time to water your roses.
- The Sunshine Daydream is the All America Rose Selections Rose of the year. This rose was picked because of its disease resistance, flower production, color and fragrance.
- While your roses crave well-rotted cow manure, we learned that you can also use dried cow manure, cottonseed meal, fish fertilizer, or thoroughly decomposed compost.
- According to legend, Aphrodite the goddess of love created the rose when her tears and the blood of Adonis her lover met.
- The oldest living rose bush is in Hildesheim Germany and is said to be over a 1,000 years old.
- Rootsticks are designed with rose bushes in mind. By installing the rootstick you can ensure your rose bushes survival as well as beautiful roses in the future.
If you would like to learn more about roses and how to care for them, make sure to check out our Roses category so that you may read our Rose Friday series. Make sure to come back Monday, because we will be discussing the different types of pests and diseases apple trees can grow and how to prevent against them.