February Gardening Tips for the Southeast
How do you prevent peach leaf curl?
Is it time to fertilize your lawn?
As the month of February draws to an end, it is time to start thinking of preparing our gardens for spring. If you live in the Southeast Region of the U.S., you will want to start thinking about what you can do now. Below is a compiled list of tips to help you prepare for spring.
Southeast Region of the U.S – February Gardening Tips
- Wait until spring to fertilize your lawn.
- If your grass is growing, go ahead and mow it.
- Better Homes and Gardens suggests that this is a great month to plant if you live in the southeast. Here are 8 simple steps for planting bare root trees.
- If you are having difficulties growing trees and shrubs in your soil, consider installing aeration tubes. Aeration tubes are a direct to root water system that are installed around trees, shrubs, and around plants. They work to provide oxygen, nutrients, and water to your foliage’s root zone. This helps create more root growth, more above ground growth, and increase the trees chance of survival. For trees, please see the Rootwell Pro-318 and plants, please see Root Sticks.
Fruit and Vegetable Tips
- Organic Gardening recommends to prevent peach leaf curl, treat your nectarines and peaches this month with lime-sulfur mixture.
- Plant your asparagus crop this month. For how to do that in 3 easy steps, please see How to Plant Asparagus.
- The Old Farmer’s Almanac recommends planting lettuce, cabbage, kale, mustard greens, radishes, broccoli, carrots, spinach, and Irish potatoes this month.
Perennial and Annual Tips
- To help encourage your flowers to bloom, try deadheading them. Not sure how? Check out, Deadheading Made Easy- How to Supercharge Your Garden.
General Gardening Tips
- Turn your compost pile this month. Not sure if composting is for you? Scan through some of the benefits to composting at home.
- When caring for your roses this month, make sure to remove damaged canes and apply fertilizer and mulch for added protection.
February is the perfect time to start preparing your garden for spring if you live in the Southeast Region of the U.S. From landscaping to general gardening, these tips will give you a fantastic start to an amazing garden come summer.
Have you ever tried adding Epsom Salt to your garden? Check out How to Supercharge your Backyard Garden with Epsom Salt to find out the benefits and how to do it.